[UK-TUG] Voting advice for TUG and DANTE donations

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:33:06 CEST 2021

Dear Members

DANTE hasn't agreed to accept funds from us. Voting for dissolution now
will most likely result in our £8,000 going to TUG's General Fund. From
there about £680 will go to support TeX projects, and the rest will pay for
TUG's running costs.

This is the best deal that Arthur Reutenauer (UK-TUG committee member and
TUG Vice-President) could negotiate with TUG. And with DANTE he got no deal.

Howard Vie's motion lets us seek a better deal. This month I donated $25 to
TUG with ALL the money going to support TeX projects. (I'd vote at this AGM
for dissolution if Arthur had got us a much better deal from TUG.)

For best use of our funds I suggest you vote FOR Howard's motion and
against all others. That's what I'll do. To do that copy the table below ...

HV1:FOR.
JF1:AGAINST.
JF2:AGAINST.
JF3:AGAINST.
DS1:AGAINST.

... and email it to the Secretary joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk. Voting
opens noon today and closes midnight Thursday 4 November.  (The committee
says if you vote FOR HV1 then please don't vote for JF3 or DS1. They want
the SGM to have a consistent outcome.)

with kind regards

Jonathan Fine

# APPENDIX: Supporting evidence and text of motions.

## CALCULATION OF £680 GOING TO SUPPORT TEX PROJECTS

Recently the committee mail list was told that TUG has agreed in
principle to accept a donation from UK TUG provided there were "no strings
attached", and that DANTE has not yet responded to a similar request.
specific donations.)

TUG 2019 TaX return:
https://www.tug.org/tax-exempt/tax-return.2019/f990ez-2019.pdf
Calculation: 12322 / 145076 * 8000 = 679.48 (in tax return line10 / line17
* £8,000).

## ARTHUR REUTENAUER'S REPORT ON TUG AND DANTE DONATIONS

I can also say that UK-TUG has essentially lost all credibility with our
sister organisations, as is demonstrated by the fact that I couldn’t
negotiate better conditions for TUG to receive a donation from UK-TUG, and
that I didn’t get any official answer from DANTE when I contacted
them.

## TEXT OF MOTIONS

HV1. That UK-TUG continue to function, with the proviso that
(a) the Committee draft an updated Constitution to better reflect  outcomes
achievable by the group, and arranges for the members to  consider this
update as required by the current Constitution;
(b) the Committee reduce asset holdings in line with part (a), donating
dormant resources to TUG and DANTE

DS1. That UK-TUG be dissolved, and that its remaining assets be transferred
in accordance with Clause 5(3)(b) of the Constitution in two equal parts to:
(i) TeX Users Group (TUG), and
(ii) Deutschsprachige Anwendervereinigung TeX e.V. (DANTE).

JF1. If UK-TUG is dissolved then its surplus assets will be distributed in
proportion to the individually expressed wishes of members, taking into
account only those wishes that are consistent with the constitution.

JF2. That there be an SGM on the continuation and dissolution of UK TUG in
the first quarter of 2022.

JF3. That UK-TUG be dissolved.

[END]