[UK-TUG] Fwd: NOT CONFIDENTIAL: Advance notice of messages to uk-tug-announce

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Oct 28 20:26:25 CEST 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 08:58:48AM +0100, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> This afternoon I intend to invite you and Arthur to comment on conflict of
> loyalty, regarding UK-TUG making a donation to TUG.

  I can’t see that there’s much to comment on.  I am involved in several
other user groups, including TUG where I’m the vice president.  This is
well known of the committee.  That’s formally a conflict of interest,
which I think is properly mitigated by 1) its notoriety, and 2) my
abstaining from voting on any committee motion involving TUG (there have
been none).  I don’t think that precludes me from voting on motions at a
general meeting (and Joseph, whom I contacted privately, alread told me
he would accept my vote on any motion).  I also note that contrary to
UK-TUG, TUG is operated under strict not-for-profit rules (section
501(c)(3) of the US IRS code).

  I can also say that UK-TUG has essentially lost all credibility with
our sister organisations, as is demonstrated by the fact that I couldn’t
negotiate better conditions for TUG to receive a donation from UK-TUG,
and that I didn’t get any official answer from DANTE when I contacted
them.

	Best,

		Arthur