[UK-TUG] Revealed --- the hidden sub-committee

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:03:00 CEST 2021

Hi

hidden sub-committee. I explain this, and its consequences. I express
sadness and apologise for any contribution I may have made to the present
painful situation.

I thank Jay for his post yesterday, which answers a question that I didn't
dare ask. For much of this year I've suspected that there was an unofficial
sub-committee, which I didn't know about, that discussed and perhaps
decided business before it went to the main committee.

Yesterday Jay wrote: [M]ost of the current committee is saying little in
its actual meetings until its mind is made up. [THE] REAL DISCUSSION IS
TAKING PLACE ELSEWHERE. [Emphasis added.]

Here's an example of how this works in practice.

1. Jay, presumably after a meeting of the sub-committee, tells you that the
majority opinion of the committee is that there be an SGM "where we expect
you to vote for dissolution".

2. I'm not aware of the sub-committee. I tell you, fairly and accurately I
hope: "Please regard Jay's statement as an expression of his personal
opinion. It does not, in my opinion, fairly and accurately reflect
committee discussion and votes."

3. Jay writes: "I wrote to you presenting the majority view of the members
of the UK-TUG committee with regard to dissolution. I regret that Jonathan
Fine is contradicting me."

4. I wonder by what mechanism Jay knows the majority view when I do not.  I
say nothing more on this matter, until today.

The constitution allows the committee to delegate its powers or functions
to a subcommittee. It further states: "The terms of any such delegation
must be recorded in the minute book."

The constitution also states: "All acts and proceedings of any
subcommittees must be fully and promptly reported to the Committee."

Jay and the other committee members may regard their conduct as a proper
exclusion or avoidance of a disruptive, uncooperative and awkward fellow
committee members. I regard it as ostracism or social-shunning, for
contradicting an orthodoxy.

This whole matter is painful and saddens me greatly. I believe UK TUG in
life and death deserves more dignity and respect that it presently gets. I
sincerely apologise to you all for any actions or words of mine that have
contributed to the present situation.

with kind regards

Jonathan