[UK-TUG] Revealed --- the hidden sub-committee

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Thu Oct 7 00:09:27 CEST 2021

Hi members,

This is for you, not Jonathan Fine. He's welcome to read it of course.
I'm pretty sure he will ignore it, or not understand it (or both?), as
he has in the past with similar analyses I have sent him privately.  I'm
writing this like a newspaper article, not an academic paper, so I don't
expect most readers to get past paragraph 3. If you are interested in
what the committee work has been like recently, and why I have chosen to
have informal discussions with some committee members before discussing
on committee, read on.  I rather think some members would rather like to
ignore the committee internals, and leave running UKTUG to  the
committee.  That's their right. And I'd welcome them  to continue doing
so.  But, the committee internals have surfaced because UKTUG cannot
continue as it has been. Earlier committees have struggled to prevent
the decline of UKTUG, and considered dissolution as a managed way to put
a stop to the significant effort required to keep UKTUG going without a
correspondingly valuable  benefit for members and the TeX community.  In
2019 we discussed dissolution. In 2020 we passed motions about it. In
2021 I've told you that UKTUG has failed. It's not bankrupt. But it has
no plan for succession, no prospect of a future committee.  (Prove me
wrong! Please ask to be co-opted onto the committee now; (you have not
offered  in the past when I have made similar requests)). It is plain to
me that a committee  with Jonathan Fine on it is even less effective
than ones without him. Some members refuse to serve on a committee with
Jonathan Fine on it, having experienced his behaviour.   I did not find
the energy and time to change the committee rules so you (the members)
could vote on who is allowed on the committee. At the moment committee
accepts all volunteers. That may have been an error on my part.

Jonathan Fine interprets my behaviour as forming a sub-committee, and
then criticises me for not conforming to the rules  that apply to
sub-committees. I haven't formed a sub-committee, and thus it's not
recorded in the minute book. He also says that he feels  he's being
shunned for contradicting an orthodoxy; What orthodoxy?  I rather think
it's his earlier explanation, that I limit interacting with him.  Well,
that's politics, not disrespect. And  yes my respect goes to both
Jonathan Fine, and UKTUG.  I believe that JF's mental model is that he
believes he is doing the best for UKTUG and the TeX community by
following his own particular  (self-aggrandizing) path, no matter what
the cost to others.  In that sense his disruptive behaviour is honest.
But I'm not prepared to bear the cost of JF's personal path and choices.
There's no give-and-take with JF as I experience him.

There's usually  small 'p' politics in committees.  Most  of you will
already understand that politics involves *goal setting, infighting,
negotiation, co-operation*.  And that goal-setting takes place outside
formal structures before it enters the formal ones.  Jonathan Fine
either does not understand politics the way I do, or believes he can
bully me (and the committee) into doing things his way.  This is a sorry
state of affairs, and the underlying interactions have contributed to
the poor outcomes from the committee in the last 9 or so months. I've
been doing my best for you under what I feel are  trying circumstances.

I have learned, painfully, that the only aspect of politics Jonathan
does with committee is the infighting bit*.   A political process such
as  UKTUG committee needs all the aspects I describe.  Chairing UKTUG is
a voluntary activity. I contribute what I can. Which is not as much as
UKTUG needs. I regret that much of my time is taken up with unproductive
infighting.

As chair I have no power. Zilch. I suggested  the committee adopt the
charity commission's notion of etiquette. Or other rules of behaviour.
My suggestion  found no favour.  How then,  to form a plan, and enact
it?  Move the constructive parts of the process out of JF's reach so he
can't disrupt e.g. the brainstorming,  the what if's, the scenario
planning. And that's why the A_list discusses without JF. If he won't
contribute, at least I have avoided  his entirely disrupting the
constructive members of committee.

I have to be careful that the informal discussions do not directly  give
rise to formal committee actions. The secretary acts for the committee
on small matters. And negotiations from a committee member are quite
acceptable as long as the binding agreement (if any) is made by the
committee. We have had to have in-committee discussions of grants.

I make no apology for my approach to committee matters. Rather I seek
your sympathy and praise -- well, actually  I don't need them, because
I'm not standing as chair again, whether UKTUG continues or not.

Jay Hammond

* scrupulous honesty requires an 'almost' here. Just sometimes JF's
questions about and interpretations of the constitution can be helpful.
But his helpful interventions are such a small fraction of the overall
output that they do not compensate for the disruption. Nowhere near.

jh

Email use jay at jjnr.uk