[XeTeX] xelatex not connecting letters in awami nastaliq font

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:28:28 CET 2021

On 21/02/2021 14:55, Kamal Abdali wrote:
> Thank you Lorna and Jonathan for solving the problem.
>
> Jonathan, I almost always need fontspec options like
> [Script=Arabic,Scale=xx,WordSpace=yy] because different nastaliq fonts
> seem to have very different letter sizes and word spacing behaviors.
> Moreover, for some reason the Noto Nastaliq Urdu font doesn't connect
> letters if the Script=Arabic option is omitted.

Noto Nastaliq Urdu is an OpenType font; OpenType requires that the
correct script is specified so that it knows what shaping engine to use.
(There's a default "generic" shaper that is used for Latin & other
simple scripts, so in that case nothing needs to be explicitly
specified, but Arabic and other "complex" scripts require the script to
be specified so that script-specific rules can be applied.)

Awami Nastaliq is a Graphite font; no script option is required as the
shaping behavior is encoded entirely within the font; the engine is
script-independent.

So the Script option is not relevant for Awami, but you do need the
Renderer=Graphite option to use the proper font engine. (The default
word spacing in Awami should generally be quite good, especially if you
use the \XeTeXinterwordspaceshaping=1 setting, but I assume it would
still work to adjust it if you wish.)

JK