[XeTeX] xelatex not connecting letters in awami nastaliq font

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Sun Feb 21 20:41:04 CET 2021

> So the Script option is not relevant for Awami, but you do need the
> Renderer=Graphite option to use the proper font engine.

I wonder whether XeTeX could recognize this automatically.  The Awami
font in question, for example, doesn't contain a script tag for
Arabic.  If the font gets requested with

  \newfontfamily\urdufont[Script=Arabic]{Awami Nastaliq}

xelatex could try the Graphite engine instead.

Note sure whether my idea makes sense since I don't have any knowledge
of Graphite stuff...

    Werner