[UK-TUG] Are you a member of UK TUG? Donations to TUG + DANTE soon?

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Sat Jan 22 19:37:23 CET 2022

Hi,

I have sent Jonathan Fine a long analysis  of why ex-members are not
currently members. The short explanation is that UKTUG has bye-laws as
well as a constitution. At this stage, I do not think it is possible to
overturn bye-laws that have been accepted by members as valid for about
30 years.

If you'd like a copy of my explanation, please ask.

Jay

On 22/01/2022 15:04, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Hi
>
> To my surprise, Jay has told me that I am no longer a member of UK
> TUG. He told me this is because I did not renew my membership on or
> before January 1st 2022. Jay also told me that this applies to all
> 2021 members of UK TUG.
>
> The constitution (and common sense) are quite clear. No specific
> action is required to remain a member, other than staying alive

[correct as far as it goes]

> and paying the dues (if any).
[JH the constitution says nothing about  paying dues, the bye-laws do.
Bye-laws also require renewal.]

> This is how 2020 members became 2021 members.
[JH not as I recall. I believe we were renewed by the secretary, if not,
then another situation happened, which we might investigate if it
becomes important]

> It is to me clear that we're all members of UK TUG provided we're
> alive and haven't resigned, until the process of dissolution is complete.
[JH not obvious to me]

> I hope the process of dissolution is not delayed and goes well.

[jh thank-you]

> I look forward to hearing news of donations to TUG and DANTE. The UK
> TUG Committee is responsible for this,

[JH correct]

> and it is accountable to the members.

[jh debatable, if  'formally accountable' is meant]

[jh but moot if there are no members]

[jh I think the committee should, morally, report to ex-members that
dissolution is complete. It was entrusted by  the 2021 members to carry
out dissolution. I'd welcome views on how much detail ex-members would
like to see.]

Email use jay at jjnr.uk