[UK-TUG] Discussion of motion DS1

David Saunders david at symplectic.email
Sun Oct 31 20:00:42 CET 2021

I hope it is within the spirit of the recent remark from the Chair to
reprint a paragraph from the Statement I produced to support motion DS1.

"On the other hand, the proposal in motion HV1, that UK-TUG amend its
constitution
to become such a lightweight association, seems unlikely to produce a
resolution in the
foreseeable future. Such a change would necessarily alter the objectives
of UK-TUG,
and would open the floodgates to an interminable theological debate on
whether such a
change was, as required by our present constitution, ‘within the
reasonable contempla-
tion of the members of UK-TUG’. I fear that expecting such a change to
be implemented
any time soon would represent the triumph of hope over experience."

If UK-TUG is dissolved then, of course, there would be no such
constraints arising from the existing constitution.

David