[UK-TUG] Procedural matters

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Sun Oct 31 01:07:03 CEST 2021

Hi members,

Jonathan Fine made a request

Hi Joseph and Jay

Would it be in order for me to post the message below to uk-tug-announce?

Jonathan

===

Hi

UK-TUG has provided a place for TeX users in the UK to meet and talk. UK
TUG has about 80 members. Here's a list of the continuations I know
about. They mostly each have about 7 members. I set up the first four,
and Simon Dales the fifth. I look forward to both cooperation and rivalry.

_[ <https://groups.google.com/g/uk-tex-users>5 URL’s snipped ] JH_

I'm confident that both Simon and myself would appreciate comments,
feedback and questions from ordinary members. Perhaps one of you would
like to briefly review these continuations.

with kind regards

Jonathan

I asked JF what thread it should go under. He replied it needed a new
thread. I said it was off topic for the SGM.

Jonathan Fine wrote: I ask the Chair to reconsider the decision, that my
post on "Social and technical continuations of UK-TUG" is off-topic
during the voting period of the SGM.

Perhaps my initial reply was too terse.

I now reconsider: What criteria should I apply to JF’s proposed posting?

Is it relevant to a specific motion?

Is instead relevant to the general meeting theme, Dissolution?

Is it within the chairing guidelines developed by the committee before
the meeting?

     The guidelines permit continuation to be discussed in general
terms, but it was felt that specifics of continuation should not be
discussed as they were not relevant to dissolution and they they would
distract from discussion of dissolution. (There is other guidance. This
piece seemed relevant to me.)

Does it risk disrupting the meeting?

I judge that the posting as proposed is not appropriate for the meeting
according to the criteria above. I no longer believe that rewording the
proposed posting will make it more acceptable. I do believe the proposed
posting will fulfil its evident purpose if posted after the voting is
complete. Calling the members to a different venue at that stage might
lead to a positive outcome such as a harmonious new group which I would
welcome.

Jay Hammond

Email usejay at jjnr.uk