[UK-TUG] Problems with UK-TUG funding for my TeX Hour activity

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:03:11 CEST 2021

Hi

I thank Jay for his message. I've had a learning experience as a
consequence, which I will share with you.

I was angry when I read Jay's message, and had started to compose a
response driven by that anger. Fortunately, I regained self-awareness
before going too far down that past.

Knowing that I was angry I was reminded of a wise teaching. The person who
is angry is the first victim of their anger. This led me to think that
perhaps Jay was angry at me when he sent his message. Only he can know that
for sure.

I now see that Jay ignoring important parts of my message was one cause of
my anger. For example Jay ignored the addition of conditions that weren't
in the committee motion. It may be that my not mentioning Jay reaching out
to me to negotiate was one cause of his anger.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of this matter, if on both sides messages
cause anger which is then acted upon, the toxic cycle continues and UK-TUG
is doomed. If for 24 hours the toxic cycle is broken, then perhaps UK-TUG
in name or in spirit can be saved.

with kind regards

Jonathan