[UK-TUG] Donating £10,000 to TUG might result in only £830 for supporting TeX-related projects

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 19:00:17 CEST 2021

Hi

What happens to a £10,000 donation to TUG depends on which fund it is
donated to. If donated to the TeX Development Fund then 100% of it goes to
support TeX-related projects.

If donated as a General TUG Contribution then it's more complicated. The
money goes into a pot which can be used for any purpose. According to the
2019 TaX return $145,000 was spent, of which $12,000 was for development
grants and similar.

My understanding is that at present the Committee is contemplating a
General TUG Contribution (if David Saunders SGM motion is passed). Applied
pro rata £10,000 to that fund would result in £830 for support TeX-related
projects.

We can do better than that. For example, last week TUG accepted a small
donation from me, via the 100% TeX Development Fund, whose primary purpose
is supporting TeX in the United Kingdom.

In 2014-2019 the TeX Development Fund made donations of $8,000. So the
money we have could make a big difference to TeX development, if it gets
there.

By the way, UK-TUG committee member Arthur Rosendahl is also Vice President
of TUG.

with kind regards

Jonathan

URLS: