[UK-TUG] Howard's motion: Distribute funds AND Continue UK-TUG

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Sun Oct 24 17:57:05 CEST 2021

Thank you David.

I agree.

I think the SGM is going to feel very short. I am pleased that the
substantive issue,  Dissolution / continuation is being discussed by
members in this forum. Please don't get diverted by side issues.  Focus
on what UKTUG is going to do and how it is going to achieve that.

I'd warn you that this forum  is not the SGM, and that you may expect
opinions to vary. And motivations. And interpretations of motions. At
the meeting, as chair, I shall give some notes on the motions. I will
say it is the wording of the motions that counts, not the proposers
intentions. I'll state  how the committee is going to interpret the
motions. Don't make your mind up until you see that interpretation.

Since you don't know the voting procedure, I think it is premature  to
express a vote. Opinions are welcome of course. Reasoned ones, even more so.

I don't know why Jonathan Fine seeks to start the (voting at the) SGM
early under his own rules.  It is not a cooperative or supportive act.
It may not work in your interests.  Please don't get sucked into that.

I urge you to vote, when the time comes,  for dissolution, not
continuation. I can't urge you  from inside the SGM, as I'll be chairing
it.

I think Howard's motion is clear that some form of continuation of UKTUG
is demanded. As to achieving that practically, that is worth debating if
continuation is your chosen option.

Jonathan Fine has posted here that he sees no prospect of UKTUG
continuing into 2022 because, even if you vote to continue (as he now
urges!) he sees no prospect of a committee coming about for 2022. I
agree with him.  There's no prospect of a useful future committee.

I have repeatedly (over the last two years) asked members to step up and
actually do something towards keeping UKTUG going if that is what they
want. No member has stepped forward to do so.  In 2019, or early 2020,
Two members did propose they discuss a plan. I put them in touch.  I
still have not heard the outcome of any discussions that might have
taken place. I conclude that the membership is not prepared to do the
work necessary to keep UKTUG going. Well, nor am I.

I believe it would be irresponsible for members to vote that the
committee  continue UKTUG if they (the members) are not prepared to make
the effort to help UKTUG continue. Not just irresponsible, also damaging
to UKTUG. To continue without a potent committee, dooms UKTUG to an
impotent existence, not  able to spend its money, nor to have  a
constitutionally acceptable committee  that could organise meetings at
which it might acknowledge its plight and shut itself down.  The
constitution is a little more optimistic, but how to recruit committee
members from a membership who will not serve?  It's my judgement that
this is the last chance UKTUG will have to shut itself down. And that it
should while it still can.

I can't speak on behalf of the existing committee as a whole. I'm just 1
human, in less than perfect health. I can't run UKTUG on my own, even if
I had an ego big enough to want to. I tell you plainly I will not be
implementing Howard's motion. It's my belief that this attitude is
shared by multiple members of the committee.  I won't be standing to be
on the committee that runs 2021/2022, should Howard's motion be passed.
That probably applies to most of the committee. But they will speak for
themselves.  I believe the proper action for a committee member who
refuses to enact a motion is to resign. I'd feel I had to do so if
Howard's motion passes. Whether I should continue in post long enough to
fulfil other responsibilities to UKTUG such as help organise an AGM, I
do not know.

Jay Hammond

Email use jay at jjnr.uk