[UK-TUG] Obtaining a clear outcome from the SGM

Ewan Hawthorn ewan.hawthorn at themis-advocates.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 03:20:08 CEST 2021

Just dipped into today’s exchanges (Jay’s e-mail). Skimmed. I assume we are all programmers.
These days, I’m a lawyer (too old to think but still capable of criticising other people’s algorithms :/ ). As a lawyer, one of my greatest bug-bears is algorithms expressed in English language terms that are non-exhaustive. That’s normal for lawyers (who don’t get maths/logic) but disappointing for coders.
A constitution is a mixture of “law” and coding. It should deal with most situations but should also have a final “else” to the effect “apply common sense” to resolve any outstanding issues.
I would like to think that the courts would take that approach; I’d also like to hope the courts wouldn’t have to. Whilst, as a lawyer, I am acutely aware of how under-rewarded we are for our time and expertise, as a member I would hate to see UK-TUG’s assets dissipated in favour of the legal profession, “Your assets should go to xxx. Net of the my fees, those assets amount to -£1,000 and I Iook to the elected officers to contribute their liability for the difference”.

What a sad ending :( Unless you are the lawyer! Let’s avoid that. Please?

Regards,
Ewan.
[Typed using the touchscreen of my iPhone - e&oe]