[UK-TUG] Obtaining a clear outcome from the SGM

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:53:38 CEST 2021

Hi David

I have wasted some time which I apologise, and even more of my own (which I
deeply regret). Please ignore for now my previous message and respond only
to this one.

I feel most uncomfortable at the order paper being so arranged that the
mover of a motion can be denied the opportunity to speak to the
motion (except through an explicit procedural motion). UK TUG general
meetings have operated on the principle that all motions are heard.

In more detail, your proposal would allow the SGM to prevent the discussion
of valid motions on the order paper, as a consequence of voting to dissolve
UK-TUG before the motion comes up for debate. So far as I can recall, every
general meeting of UK-TUG has discussed all motions on the order paper.

Your proposal would reverse the custom and practice that every motion
should have its time at the general meeting (unless prevented by an
explicit procedural motion, such as that the motion not be put or that the
meeting be closed).

The SGM can if it wishes by procedural motions prevent the discussion of
any motion on the order paper. To arrange the order paper so a substantial
motion prevents the discussion of another motion is contrary to custom and
practice. The reasons you give have logic behind them, but I find the
conclusion unacceptable.

with kind regards

Jonathan