[UK-TUG] Obtaining a clear outcome from the SGM

Paul Stanley pstanley at essexcourt.net
Fri Oct 15 12:04:15 CEST 2021

It's obviously very much for the chair (or the meeting on a procedural
motion) to decide how to proceed. But for what it's worth (and I think I
am agreeing with David Saunders):

* I don't understand why "continue" motions come first (or even really
need to be put at all ...) Continuation is the default: the *vote*
required is to dissolve.

* The main question is whether to dissolve. How to dissolve is
secondary, because there is a default constitutional provision which
applies unless a majority has a different view.

* I would therefore favour the following:

1. A single dissolve vote (which forms part of DS1, JH1, JF3)

2. If the dissolution motion fails, a decision in principle on whether
to amend the constitution as HV1 suggests. But that would really only be
a decision in principle, because there is not I think any draft before
the meeting, so in practical terms it's a question of "SGM with a draft
amended constitution" or "SGM without one" (if, given the business of
the meeting, the Chair considers those motions to be in order, which
some might doubt).

3. If the dissolution motion passes, a decision on each of the motions
that the funds be distributed (a) to TUG and Dante (DS1) or (b) in
accordance with individually expressed wishes. If neither of those
motions passes, then the default position obtains, and it is for the
committee to distribute. They could either be put one by one or, if the
constitution permits it (I'm not sure it does, though it would make
sense ...) by a preference vote, where each voter's first preferences
would first be counted, the least favoured eliminated, and the second
preferences then redistributed.

Although the constitution requires any vote on what is to happen to
funds to be made before or at the same time as the vote to dissolve, I
think that "at the same time" means "on the same occasion" i.e. in the
same meeting, so it would be OK to vote on dissolution first. But if
there was any doubt on that, then one could put motion (3) first ("If we
dissolve ...") and then motion 1.

--
Paul Stanley QC
Essex Court Chambers

T +44 20 7813 8000
D +44 20 7147 7340

Regulated by the Bar Standards Board

The contents of this message and any attachments are confidential. They may also be subject to legal professional privilege. If you have received this by mistake, please delete it unread and let me know. Thank you.