[UK-TUG] Obtaining a clear outcome from the SGM

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:56:32 CEST 2021

Dear Member

SUMMARY: How can we achieving a clear decision on continuation and
dissolution.

ASIDE: I'm happy for this discussion to be moved to some other place,
provided it is publicly viewable.

My goal is to develop a process for the SGM that is harmonious and which
achieves a clear outcome. This might be dull reading unless you're a mover
of a motion or the Secretary. Please forgive me if in seeking clarity
I lose concision. I welcome Joseph's opinion on these matters.

Here's a summary of the six motions, which is adequate for my present
purpose.

DS1: Dissolve and distribute to TUG and DANTE.
HV1: Continue and draft constitution and distribute to TUG and DANTE.
JH1: Dissolve.
JF1: If dissolve, distribute by individually expressed wishes.
JF2: [Continue and] SGM in 2022.
JF3: Dissolve.

The SGM voting for both continuation and dissolution is not a clear
outcome. How can we avoid that, and with the most harmony. There are 3
dissolve motions, 2 continue motions and 1 other (which I will ignore for
now).

I believe that in an in-person meeting the process used would be:
a) choose a continue motion
b) vote on the continue motion

If the chosen "continue" motion passes, then all the "dissolve" motions
fall. The SGM has chosen to continue.

If the chosen "continue" motion falls then I believe the process would be:
c) choose a dissolve motion
d) vote on the dissolve motion

If the chosen "dissolve" motion passes then UK TUG will be dissolved. If
the "dissolve" motion falls then the SGM will have taken no decision on
continuation or dissolution, and so UK TUG continues.

Traditionally the choosing of the "continue" and if needed "dissolve"
motions is done in a way that maximises support for the outcome. This is
similar to transferable votes in elections.

I think this is enough for now. I hope Joseph can give some insight into
the voting procedure for the SGM.

Thank you for getting to the end.

best wishes

Jonathan