[UK-TUG] On TUG and DANTE acceptance of funds from UK TUG

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:29:34 CEST 2021

Hi

In this message I assume that David Saunders motion is passed.

I've got two questions for the committee, probably for Arthur and Joseph. I
ask now to avoid surprises about what happens to our money, after the SGM.

Recall that recently the committee mail list was told that TUG has agreed
in principle to accept a donation from UK TUG provided there were "no
strings attached", and that DANTE has not yet responded to a similar
request.

According to https://www.tug.org/donate/dev.html any person can make a
donation that goes entirely to fund TeX development, and TUG will
administer the donations on behalf of the community, without any fee.

Arthur: Why can't  UK TUG donate to TeX development by taking up that offer
from TUG? Or have I misunderstood "no strings attached"?

Joseph: What if DANTE doesn't respond and TUG's "no strings" is
inconsistent with the constitution? Does that mean that by default the
Committee gets to decide where the money goes?

with kind regards

Jonathan