[UK-TUG] Revealed --- the hidden sub-committee

Ewan Hawthorn ewan.hawthorn at themis-advocates.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 01:11:55 CEST 2021

Dear All,
I have, with sadness, dipped into the public exchanges about dissolution of UK-TUG over the past couple of years. I have been but a passive member wishing to maintain a connection with a straightforward markup language that promotes content over typography in the production of “printed” material because it focusses the mind of the author on content over appearance.

As I understand it, UK-TUG is an unincorporated association bound only by its own constitution and the common law rules of probity and fiduciary duty.

As a (former) programmer, that freedom seems self saving. If there are no agreed constitutional provisions for dissolution (or quora during a pandemic, etc.) then write the subroutines, have them approved in an objectively respectable manner then GOSUB.

What is done in good faith and is objectively reasonable is likely to pass objective scrutiny.

A constitution with lacunae is not a suicide pact, it is an opportunity to demonstrate goodwill and reasonable improvisation.

I confess that I have not read the UK-TUG constitution nor followed the minutiae of the discussions but I have suffered through enough can’t-see-the-wood-for-the-trees “constitutional” debates to run a mile from being drawn into one so I merely offer gratuitous observations.

I have no doubt that all those involved in the contentious discussions have the best of intentions but it seems (from my limited dipping-in) that strategic benefit has been the victim of tactical dispute. I hope that a deep breath and pause for reflection on the strategic objective might facilitate agreement (or, at least, concurrence on how to differ productively).

Regards,
Ewan.

Ewan Hawthorn
[Typed using the touchscreen of my iPhone - e&oe]