[UK-TUG] Continuation of a TeX community in the UK (and subscribing to TUG via UK-TUG)

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 14:55:04 CEST 2021

Hello all,

On 03/10/2021 08:56, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> The continuation is up to the ordinary members. I'm in the process of
> setting up a uk-tex-users email forum. This will be low maintenance and all
> will be welcome to subscribe. There's already a handful of people
> interested.

Jonathan is correct that with an SGM concerning dissolution upcoming,
members may wish to consider how they would get membership-like benefits
in the future.

One benefit I know some members appreciate is the TeX Collection DVD. I
have considered this and believe that it would be possible for me to
source and distribute these in a personal capacity should UK-TUG
dissolve. Briefly

- Members interested would need to let me have their email address so
   I can keep a simple list
- If dissolution goes ahead, I will send a message to those email
   addresses in around March to check on how many DVDs are required
- I will then source DVDs from DANTE or TUG
- I will post the DVDs out to an address in the UK

I would not expect these DVDs to be 'purchased': as the 'service' will
be limited ex-UK-TUG members, I know that it is affordable for me as a
benefit-to-the-community. That said, I would likely give people a way to
pay me the small amount it will actually cost (<£2 pp).

I note that Jonathan has said he is addressing a possible mailing list
for UK-based TeX users. That could be used to arrange other aspects,
e.g. a once-a-year meet-up.

Joseph
(In a personal capacity)