[UK-TUG] TeX users in the UK and online payments

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Wed Aug 11 00:52:53 CEST 2021

Hi Jonathan,

I do not think that discussion of committee motions should go to
uktug-announce.

Nevertheless, since you chose to misinterpret me so publicly, I shall
reply to you and UKTUG announce.

when I discover from Joseph which uktug committee address is correct for
discussion, perhaps  I should copy this there as well for the record.

> On 10/08/2021 10:35, Jonathan Fine wrote:
>> Dear Jay
>>
>> I had an unpleasant surprise this morning.

that's because you leapt to an erroneous conclusion.

In relation to you, I also leap to pessimistic conclusions. I'm pleased
to be proved wrong  when it happens. We don't have a comfortable
relationship I'm sorry to say.

You asked for an explanation. I can't explain an action I did not take.
Here's a brief clarification, I hope it satisfies you.

JF resumes: You've moved a motion that stops

>> UK TUG receiving or making online payments, effective from midnight 17
>> August until December this year. I'd be most grateful if you would
>> tell us
>> why you have taken this step.

I haven't taken this step.

Jon (treasurer) is making and capable of  receiving online payments via
the current account at our bank. He's made payments that way already &
is about to pay our web hosting dues.

The PayPal account is unworkable. Jon and I don't have access to it at
all. Joseph has limited access to it.

The actions referred to here are explicit in the motion I append below.

I hope you could vote for action 1 it's the only sensible option left
open to us.

actions 2 and 3 are more political. But not very.

action 2: update website.

We could accept new members who paid our current account by online
transfer if the website were suitably updated.  Most banking apps offer
(UK) bank to bank transfers

I do not believe we will  have (m)any applications for new membership
between now and the end of the membership year. Historically, 5 would be
a  high number. 0-2 is more likely, and given we are well through the
year, I'm expecting them to be on the low side of that.

  I leave the details of the website update to Joseph.  Any constructive
support from committee members would be welcome.

action 3

We have no pressing need for a PayPal account . None between now and ...
the next AGM or UKTUG closure, whichever is the sooner.

Just in case UKTUG continues, the incoming committee will have a motion
that *enables *them to start a fresh PayPal account before renewal time.

The if clause means that the incoming committee can decide that PayPal
is or is not required and act accordingly.

I consider action 3  a favour to any incoming committee, not a
restriction on UKTUG ability to function.

--------------

that's the clarification.

If you can't vote for action 1, (kill PayPal account) I can give more
detail on the unworkability of the PayPal account from what Jon and
Joseph have told me.

if you don't like action 2, (update website)  I don't feel I can
convince you to change your mind.  I will consider amendments if you
wish to be constructive.

If you still don't like action 3, As you have my motivation for it, and
understand that it does not restrict UKTUG's freedom of action, again, I
have no more arguments to offer. I think of it as meaning "don't waste
time now  opening a PayPal account we are not going to use, maybe later."

please vote

Jay Hammond

> ===
> The motion is available at
> https://tug.org/pipermail/uktug-committee-motions/2021q3/000657.html
> <cid:part1.2824DA73.3CF823A4 at jjnr.uk>

Motion:

that UKTUG take the three linked actions below.

        UKTUG closes its current PayPal account forthwith.

       UKTUG updates the UKTUG website to reflect this change.

       UKTUG opens a fresh PayPal account  no sooner than  December 2021,
if required for 2022 memberships.

The reason for the  motion:

The existing PayPal account cannot be operated properly or securely, is
inaccessible to the treasurer. It seems impossible to rectify this using
the existing security credentials.

Email use jay at jjnr.uk