[UK-TUG] FW: UK-TUG Projects

Richard Gould rhgould at rhgould.uk
Fri Dec 11 15:10:04 CET 2020

Third attempt.
From: Richard Gould <rhgould at rhgould.uk <mailto:rhgould at rhgould.uk> >
Sent: 30 November 2020 12:32
To: 'uktug-announce' <uktug-announce-bounces+rhgould=rhgould.uk at tug.org
<mailto:uktug-announce-bounces+rhgould=rhgould.uk at tug.org> >
Subject: UK-TUG Projects

Dear fellow-members,

I have been a lurking member for some years now but have not felt that I had
the necessary "TeXpertise" to make a meaningful contribution to the
organisation's meetings or other activities.

I joined the Group partly to make a small financial contribution after many
years of using and enjoying the benefits of TeX and LaTeX but mainly in the
hope of finding someone who could help me get to grips with writing style
files.  There has been no obvious way within UK-TUG to achieve this so I
have continued to dabble with self-teaching and reverse engineering existing
style files but the former hasn't been conspicuously successful and the
latter has proved too daunting.

So this is an area where I believe a UK-TUG-sponsored project might bear
fruit.  Much as I applaud the effort put into LearnLaTeX, there are plenty
of beginners' guides out there and the target audience (mostly
undergraduates or precocious sixth-formers I would assume) are
well-supported by local tutors.  A guide to style files would, on the other
hand, serve more experienced users who need to produce templates for
consistent documents across departments in their organisation, or just to
encapsulate their own preferences.

If anyone is interested in taking this on I would certainly volunteer to be
a guinea pig.  If, on the other hand, I have missed some obvious alternative
source of guidance on style-file creation, I do hope someone will point me
in the right direction.

--
Richard H Gould
H: +44 (0) 1865 327825