[Tugindia] Alphabetical lists

Wagish Shukla wagishs at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 05:42:38 CET 2004

--- CV Radhakrishnan <cvr at river-valley.org> wrote:

> On Sun, December 5, 2004 6:56 am, Wagish Shukla
> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks a lot. This indeed worked. Now how to
> insert
> > this kind of preamble in an index? I am using the
> > index package which permits multiple indices. I
> would
> > be grateful for help in the problem of adding a
> > preamble and a postamble in 1) multiple indices 2)
> > multiple glossaries and 3) multiple nomenclatures,
> all
> > in the same document.
>
> I have no idea which package you've been using to
> generate multiple
> indices. Could you tell me which package it is?

This is the ``index'' package by David Jones. For the
documentation, I have depended on the Latex Companion
1994 edition page 368 essentially; there is a document
index.dvi in /usr/TeX/texmf/doc/latex/camel which is
dated 1995 but was not more helpful. I am not a
techie; just an ordinary user who likes to use latex
for writing.

I have no particular partiality for or familiarity
with this package. If some other package is better for
creating multiple indices, glossaries and
nomenclatures with preamble and postamble in the same
document, I will be grateful for information on this
point.

> > I may add that I tried \def\indexpreamble{This is
> > preamble text\begin{multicol{2}}} etc trying to
> > imitate this. But apparently this does not work
> and
> > the manual for the index package in the latex
> > companion did not help. However, the latex
> companion
> > index does have a preamble and apparently there
> must
> > be a provision for a postamble.
>
> Here is one way of doing what you wanted in the
> normal index of book.cls:
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{multicol}
> \makeindex
>
> \makeatletter
>
> \renewenvironment{theindex}
>     {\columnseprule \z@
>      \columnsep 35\p@
>      \clearpage
>      \@makeschapterhead{\indexname}\indexpreamble%
>      \begin{multicols}{2}\small
>      \@mkboth{\MakeUppercase\indexname}%
>              {\MakeUppercase\indexname}%
>      \thispagestyle{plain}\parindent\z@
>      \parskip\z@ \@plus .3\p@\relax
>      \let\item\@idxitem}
>     {\end{multicols}\indexpostamble
>     \clearpage}
> \newcounter{cnt}\setcounter{cnt}{1}
> \newcounter{xcnt}
>
> \def\indexpreamble{This is the index preamble.}
> \def\indexpostamble{This is index postamble.}
>
> \def\next{\loop\ifnum\thexcnt<10
>  \index{\Alph{cnt}!\arabic{xcnt}-Index}
>  \stepcounter{xcnt}\repeat}
>
> \makeatother
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \loop
>  \ifnum\thecnt<27
>     \begingroup
>     \next
>     \endgroup
>     \index{\Alph{cnt}}
>     \stepcounter{cnt}
>     \setcounter{xcnt}{0}
> \repeat
>
> \InputIfFileExists{test.ind}{}{}
>
> \end{document}
>

> --
> Radhakrishnan
I am sure this will work. Write to you after trying.
cordially
Wagish