[tlu] new beta with possible Ventura fix

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Jan 19 16:08:17 CET 2023

> On Jan 19, 2023, at 02:00 , Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Now, whatever I do (close and reopen TLU, change the update checks from weekly to daily, close and reopen System Settings, restart the Mac), it's always as in the second screenshot above: TeX Live Utility login item in alphabetical order with proper icon.

Above and beyond, as always, Bruno! Many thanks.

> So things seem to be as they should, and my earlier observation the result of a mixture of old and new TLU setups.

Unsurprising, and don't spend time trying to diagnose it by changing TLU settings. I learned about the fix for this from Michael Tsai, and he says it only works some of the time, and I think that's clearly an Apple bug:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2022/12/27/ventura-issues/

Snippet from his post under "System Settings"
I get notifications for new login items <https://mjtsai.com/blog/2022/07/28/ventura-notifies-user-of-new-login-items/> that haven’t actually changed <https://mastodon.social/@lapcatsoftware@mstdn.plus/109557964299658620>. For example, checking a box in app A that adds a login item sometimes triggers a notification for app B (which hasn’t changed) and no notification for app A. I also get notifications for app B when deleting the plist file for app A. Sometimes I even get multiple notifications for app B (the wrong app) all at once.
The information in Login Items ‣ Allow in Background is inconsistent and unreliable. Sometimes, using AssociatedBundleIdentifiers <https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/713493> works to display the name of the app instead of the name on the signing certificate; sometimes it doesn't; and sometimes it reverts to (part of) the name of the plist file even though nothing has changed. Some items change back and forth from verified to from an unidentified developer seemingly for no reason.

thanks again,
Adam