[tlu] Possible bug with package removal

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Mar 11 10:24:42 CET 2021

> Le 11 mars 2021 à 07:13, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> a écrit :
>
> Note that it's now packaged as a zip, since Big Sur not only creates APFS .dmgs by default, it fails to copy the application to a HFS+ .dmg that is readable prior to 10.13.

When creating disk images, there's an Image Format menu in the Save As window. The default item "compressed" creates APFS images, but there's also an item "hybrid image (HFS+/ISO/UDF)" which appears to create HFS+ images.

I imagine, based on your message, that you tried that but the resulting image is not readable on version of macOS before 10.13 High Sierra? Unfortunately I no longer have a Mac with a version of macOS prior to High Sierra, to test on.

Recently I had another problem related to the gradual deprecation of HFS/HFS+ by Apple. Long ago I had made disk images of some important very old floppy disks, thinking that with these images I would be safe, that access to whatever was on these old floppies would be guaranteed forever.

However I realized the images can no longer be opened on Big Sur. Apparently this is caused by Catalina removing support for the original HFS format (without the +). Fortunately, thanks to my 2010 High Sierra Mac and an old TEAC USB Floppy Drive, I was able to read the old floppies. Then, like you, I had to resort to a .zip archive for storing their content.

Bruno