[tlu] TeX Live Message

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Jan 14 15:52:57 CET 2021

> Le 14 janv. 2021 à 12:47, vdb190 vdb190 <vdb190 at alumni.ku.dk> a écrit :
>
> It says “You need manually upgrade to a newer version of Tex Live”. I have upgraded to the newest version (via GitHub) but I still get this message.

What do you mean by upgrading via GitHub? It is TeX Live that you need to upgrade (what's inside /usr/local/texlive), not TeX Live Utility (the app).

TeX Live 2019 can no longer be updated. Once TeX Live 2020 was released, the update repository switched to TeX Live 2020. There are historic repositories containing TeX Live 2019, listed at <https://www.tug.org/historic/>, but they seem to contain its original release version, not the final version you would have got by continuously updating it until TeX Live 2020 was released.

If you wish an up-to-date TeX installation, you need to install TeX Live 2020. One possibility is online installation using the TeX Live install script, see <https://www.tug.org/mactex/mactex-unix-download.html>. Beware though that the procedure is currently broken on Big Sur: the GUI no longer works (a Big Sur bug, the tcl Wish app crashes on launch), and in text mode you may experience the OS warning that wget and lz4 cannot be verified (if that happens, press OK and go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and press the Allow Anyway button that appears).

It's easier to just install MacTeX 2020. See <https://www.tug.org/mactex/mactex-download.html>. This will set TeX Live 2020 as the default, which you can then update with TeX Live Utility. Your current TeX Live 2019 will remain in place, should you need it at some point, and you can switch between the two using Configure > Change Default TeX Live Version in TeX Live Utility.

If your Mac is ARM, you may also look at <https://www.tug.org/mactex/aboutarm.html>. However, if you've TeX Live 2019 on it, I imagine it's from before the release of ARM Macs.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin