[tlu] TLU update [was Re: TeXShop 4.58]

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Jan 5 10:29:19 CET 2021

> Le 5 Jan 2021 à 04:07, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> a écrit :
>
> Bcc: to the mactex list since that's where this thread started. Replies
> should go to the TLU list (if any).

I wonder whether MacTeX accepts Bcc's: I received your message only once (or maybe the Mail app merged the two -- or three -- messages for display once they were received).

>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 02:16 , Bruno Voisin via MacTeX <mactex at tug.org> wrote:
>>
>> TeXShop is not the only MacTeX software that gratified us with a new version for the new year: TeX Live Utility has also been silently updated by Adam to new versions 1.40 and 1.38 at
>>
>> 	https://github.com/amaxwell/tlutility/releases
>>
>> I am not aware of a change log. Using the compare function of GitHub, the changes between the two seem minimal (an updated CTAN sites list, changes to the build script).
>
> You should only see 1.40 in Sparkle, and you should also see the release notes.
> I've copied them here, also, just for completeness.
>
> Changes Since 1.36
>
> • Snow Leopard is no longer supported, due to Apple developer tool limitations
> • Added TL 2019 mirror to legacy list
> • Random files no longer shown for uninstalled packages (issue 90)
> • French localization
> • TLU should no longer be selectable as a default web browser
> • Fixed drawing problems with search field and repository field on recent Mac OS versions
> • Fixed font color inversion problem for selected table rows on recent Mac OS versions
> • Fixed dark mode drawing problems, for you weirdos who use that abomination
> • German localization

Thanks for pointing the existence of these notes, I had not thought of trying the obvious thing: look at TLU's Help menu, and realize it has a Release Notes item. Sorry!

That's said, something's wrong: all I get is an empty window with "The requested URL was not found on this server".

Looking closer,

	/Applications/TeX/TeX\ Live\ Utility.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SUAppcastItem.h

includes

	// Initializes with data from a dictionary provided by the RSS class.
	[...]
	- (NSURL *)releaseNotesURL;

but that's all there is. It seems the actual release notes URL is in the TLU binary itself,

	/Applications/TeX/TeX\ Live\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/TeX\ Live\ Utility

as

	ReleaseNotes
	http://mactlmgr.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/appcast/tlu_appcast.xml

With the move to GitHub, shouldn't it be

	https://github.com/amaxwell/tlutility/blob/master/appcast/tlu_appcast.xml

Bruno