[tldistro] texmf_scripts installation

Florian Schmaus flow at gentoo.org
Thu Jul 4 12:21:10 CEST 2024

On 04/07/2024 00.10, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Florian - thanks for writing.

Hi Karl - thanks for replying. :)

>      Gentoo currently links mktexlsr ò mktexlsr.pl, when it should be
>      mktexlsr ò mktexlsr (if I understand correctly).
>
> Right.
>
>      I do not see any special handing for mktexlsr.pl
>
> mktexlsr.pl is simply not listed in TL's linked_scripts/Makefile[.am],
> thus no link is created for it in TL's make install.
>
>      How can we determine which linked scripts Gentoo should symlink
>      and which not?
>
> 1) Current answer: instead of doing a directory listing of
> linked_scripts (I gather that's what's happening?), you can read
> the linked_scripts/scripts.lst file to determine the targets of the
> symlinks.

Parsing scripts.lst is already exactly what we are doing [1]. :)

However, mktexlsr.pl was previously listed in scripts.lst [2] and then
removed [3]. For TexLive 2023, we parse the a state of texlive.git [4]
where mktexlsr.pl is included in scripts.lst. Seems like we were lucky
enough to hit this narrow time window.

For now, I will simply adjust our tooling to always exclude mktexlsr.pl.

Are there any other scripts in scripts.lst we should exclude as well?

> 2) Near future answer: I plan to autocreate a second file that lists
> both the targets and the link names, to eliminate the exceptions.  I
> don't have an ETA, but it is pretty high on my list.  (If someone else
> wants to tweak Makefile.am to do this, so much the better.) --thanks, karl.

Sounds sensible.

Thanks!

- Flow

1: