[tldistro] unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Mon Feb 1 10:34:07 CET 2021

Hi

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:
> Sorry I'm not sure I understand what you mean by using a fixed date,
> and use the installer and the installation source.

We are updating tlnet on a daily basis, but there is an archive for each
single day on my server. So you can get the installer that was in the
archive on a fixed YYYYMMDD.

> /usr/share/install-tl-20210128/
> # ./install-tl --profile latex.profile
>  Automated TeX Live installation using profile: latex.profile
>
> So this installs from TLnet the current packages - it installs from "install-tl" and NOT by the native package manager (IPS).

In this case, you might call
	./install-tl --repository https://texlive.info/tlnet-archive/2021/01/28/tlnet/ --profile latex.profile
to ensure that the installer and the source of the installation comes
from the same day.

This way you can also ensure that the very same files are installed on
all servers.

> # tlmgr update --all
> tlmgr: package repository https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/tex/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)

> After reading the help some more, I think it is NOT possible to downgrade to a specific TeX Live release.

No, that is not supported. But as said above, you can install an old
version.

> This is because - unless I misunderstand - neither install-tl nor tlmgr update has a switch to install from a specific URL or version.

It has, see above.

And the --repository works for both install-tl and tlmgr.

> Anyway as I already said a few times, I like the TLMGR script , it's a nice package.

Thanks, took me lots of time.

>     If the package on the server is older than the package already installed
>     (e.g., if the selected mirror is out of date), "tlmgr" does not
>     downgrade. Also, packages for uninstalled platforms are not installed.
>

> So I think tlmgr is not downgrading to specific releases;
> by design I suspect install-tl and tlmgr will always install the latest release.

Well, you can trick tlmgr to downgrade by
	tlmgr --repository /path/to/some/old/tlnet install --reinstall package
though I must say I have never tried that ...

Hope that clarifies a few things.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research Labs  +  IFMGA Guide + TU Wien + TeX Live + Debian Dev