[tldistro] unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Feb 1 18:23:28 CET 2021

----- Op 1 feb 2021 om 10:34 schreef Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info:

> In this case, you might call
>	./install-tl --repository https://texlive.info/tlnet-archive/2021/01/28/tlnet/
>	--profile latex.profile
> to ensure that the installer and the source of the installation comes
> from the same day.

Great, that's what I was looking for.

This answers my question; by specifying the repository I can point to a specific 'version' of TeX Live to install.

But the install-tl has to be compatible with the TeX Live version that I want to install.

For example when I try it:

./install-tl --repository https://texlive.info/tlnet-archive/2019/12/31/tlnet --profile latex.profile
Automated TeX Live installation using profile: latex.profile

./install-tl: The TeX Live versions of the local installation
and the repository being accessed are not compatible:
 repository: 2019
Perhaps you need to use a different CTAN mirror?
(For more, see the output of install-tl --help, especially the
 -repository option.  Online via https://tug.org/texlive/doc.)

So currently because there is no "version" in the filename of the install-tl-unx.tar.gz package,
you have to know that you have downloaded install-tl-unx.tar.gz from the given date.

For example I suppose that if I want to install the TeX Live from august 2020,
say 2020/08/01, then I must download the install-tl-unx.tar.gz from 2020/08/01
and then run it with :

./install-tl --repository https://texlive.info/tlnet-archive/2020/08/01/tlnet --profile latex.profile

correct ?  Or is the install-tl from 2020/09/15 (as an example) also capable of installing the TeX Live from 2020/08/01 ?

When I try an install of an old version with an old install-tl:

# ./install-tl --repository https://texlive.info/tlnet-archive/2019/12/31/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb --profile latex.profile
Automated TeX Live installation using profile: latex.profile

./install-tl: unexpected return value from verify_checksum: -5

So that's still the 'unexpected return value' error, which may be due to the webserver.

The error 'unexpected' is by itself not a problem for me,
I don't really want to install TeX Live from 2019, but I am trying to understand how the version of the tool works.

What I find a little confusing about this is that I end up with always the same filename,
install-tl-unx.tar.gz but depending on the date , it is a different file.

As the script has a revision string in it , the filename could have that string as well.

install-tl-r15124.tar.gz as an example where <15124> is the revision number of the script.

David Stes