[tldistro] mtxrun skipping config file

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue May 26 13:30:34 CEST 2020

Hi Ed,

trying to help.

> resolvers       | resolving | skipping configuration file 'selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua' (no valid format)

Then please show that file, it seems to be incorrect in the sense that
it doesn't contain correct lua code.

> fmtutil [ERROR]: not building luajittex due to missing engine: luajittex
> fmtutil [ERROR]: not building luajithbtex due to missing engine: luajithbtex

Well, then you don't have the **engines** (actual binaries) installed.

> I've always seen it as mktexlsr for context, but I may be wrong!

As Karl said - COnteXt MarkII uses ls-R database, ConTeXt MarkIV and
later uses its own database, created by mtxrun.

> > Do you have texmfcnf.lua in place? That's
> > texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua. But I don't know how mtxrun finds it
> > there.

See above:
	selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
this is similar to kpathsea SELFAUTODIR which depends on the compile
options is either ../ or ../.. (the later with arch-subdirs).

> And from the log in my last mail, we can see mtxrun finds it, but
> refuses to use it due to a format-related issue.

Then what about sending it?

> ports# fmtutil-sys --all
> fmtutil: fmtutil is using the following fmtutil.cnf files (in precedence order):
> fmtutil: fmtutil is using the following fmtutil.cnf file for writing changes:
> fmtutil:   /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> fmtutil [INFO]: writing formats under /usr/local/share/texmf-var/web2c
> Use of uninitialized value $whatarg in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/bin/fmtutil line 443.
> fmtutil [INFO]: did not find entry for all=, skipped

That can only happen when you have an empty or near empty fmtutil.cnf.
What is in
	/usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
(still there is a bug, but that is irrelevant here)

> fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 0
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????

You **did** activate all the formats for packages shipping
	AddFormat
executes, like
	execute AddFormat name=etex engine=pdftex patterns=language.def           options="-translate-file=cp227.tcx *etex.ini"           fmttriggers=cm,dehyph,etex,hyph-utf8,hyphen-base,knuth-lib,plain
You did, right?

> Maybe an easy fix for a perl person?

That is **not** the problem.

So to repeat:
- send /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
- send texmfcnf.lua

Thanks

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev