[tldistro] mtxrun skipping config file

Edd Barrett edd at theunixzoo.co.uk
Tue May 26 11:18:26 CEST 2020

Hi Karl,

Thanks for getting back to me.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 04:47:26PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> Yes, that is what install-tl does too (because Hans told us to). I've
> never understood what it really does though. Creates some kind of cache
> file somewhere according to the man page, but I don't know any details.

I've always seen it as mktexlsr for context, but I may be wrong!

> I don't believe so. cont-en.fmt are for (old) "MkII" (Perl)
> ConTeXt. Since thenm, Hans completely moved away from using
> fmtutil.cnf. I don't know how or where the MkIV (Lua) formats get
> built. I've tried to figure out occasionally, but never succeeded.

I see. So it sounds to me like I'm missing a step.

I did try enabling LuaJIT, just in case that was the source of the
problem: it was not.

> Do you have texmfcnf.lua in place? That's
> texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua. But I don't know how mtxrun finds it
> there.

I do, yeah:

```
ports# file /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua: ASCII English text
```

And from the log in my last mail, we can see mtxrun finds it, but
refuses to use it due to a format-related issue.

> Failing that, I think you'll have to find a context forum to ask
> on. Unfortunately I don't know the best one to recommend. For me,
> ConTeXt is a big black box of mystery. --good luck, karl.

I've just scanned install-tl and nothing jumped out at me as something
I've missed, so I guess I'll have to ask the ConTeXt folks.

Thanks for your help anyway.

P.S. at some point, I triggered a crash in fmtutil-sys:

```
ports# fmtutil-sys --all
fmtutil: fmtutil is using the following fmtutil.cnf files (in precedence order):
fmtutil: fmtutil is using the following fmtutil.cnf file for writing changes:
fmtutil:   /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
fmtutil [INFO]: writing formats under /usr/local/share/texmf-var/web2c
Use of uninitialized value $whatarg in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/local/bin/fmtutil line 443.
fmtutil [INFO]: did not find entry for all=, skipped
fmtutil [INFO]: total formats: 0
fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 0
```

The troublesome line is:

```
print_info("did not find entry for $what=$whatarg, skipped\n");
```

Maybe an easy fix for a perl person?

--
Best Regards