[tlbuild] linked scripts when script names only differ by their extensions

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 26 21:56:54 CET 2024

    some .pl scripts seem meant to be called by shell scripts by their
    authors, as in the case of ctan-o-mat whereas only the former are
    pointed to by symlinks.

If you mean the
  exec perl "$0.pl" "$@"
script that is the "ctan-o-mat" file, I guess I didn't notice or decided
not to use it. I have a great aversion to putting non-executable files
in the bin directory. Right now I think the only exceptions are
mtxrun.run and context.lua, which I am not happy about but which I
cannot change. I don't much want to add another.

    I will try to list the various possible scenarios.

The idea is that whatever is the bin directory is what should be invoked
by users (as one might expect :). If there are bugs in that regard,
besides ctan-o-mat, let's fix them.

    the way, it might be clearer to use "obsd" in every instance as a
    prefix, like so: obsd-tlmgr.

Agreed. Good idea. Or if you're feel especially infrastructure-happy :),
you could have one dispatch script:

  tlobsd tlmgr ...
  tlobsd mksymlinks ...
  tlobsd ...

Just a stray thought, doesn't matter to me :). --thanks, karl.