[tlbuild] linked scripts when script names only differ by their extensions

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Tue Mar 26 09:34:47 CET 2024

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 03:23:00PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> I'll work on it. Unless you or someone else figures out the tweaks for
> linked_scripts/Makefile.am first :). It occurs to me it would probably
> be a lot cleaner to move generation of both scripts.lst and the putative
> scripts-target.lst to an external shell script that the Makefile calls.

I agree, especially since custom-TLs could use it! :)  By the way,
some .pl scripts seem meant to be called by shell scripts by their
authors, as in the case of ctan-o-mat whereas only the former are
pointed to by symlinks.  I will try to list the various possible
scenarios.

> Even ignoring the git idea,

Actually, I went to .tar.xz archives to avoid putting binary files in
git as much as can be.  But I'll look into this solution.

> seems like having such a script would be
> useful to do the tlmgr update --all && mkobsdsymlinks. You can bet some
> of those theoretical users would not realize/remember to run the extra
> script.

Right.  So this "tlobsdmgr" script would call tlmgr with whatever
commands/options appended by users before doing mktexobsdsymlinks.  By
the way, it might be clearer to use "obsd" in every instance as a
prefix, like so: obsd-tlmgr.

Thanks,

-- Robert