[tlbuild] LuaMetaTeX for TeX Live

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:34:55 CEST 2022

Dear Norbert,

On Sun, 18 Sept 2022 at 13:35, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2022, Karl Berry wrote:
> >     The build is done using CMake, so I'm not sure about the best way to
> >     integrate it into the current autotools-based toolchain.
>
> What about putting it into the utils directory where we have things that
> are not necessarily included in the build process, and ask builders
>         cd ...
>         cmake ...
> similarly to what we do for asy?

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

> If, in due time, someone comes up with a autoconf calls cmake
> (maybe https://github.com/nemequ/configure-cmake as starting point)
> we can include it in the normal build process.

Just as a subquestion: if I would manage to get the build to be
somehow integrated, either via configure-cmake that you linked to
(thank you very much, I wasn't aware of that project) or in some other
way: would the best location for the sources then be "texk/luametatex"
(which is where lcdf-typetools and alike live)? And if we don't manage
to figure it out: just stick with "utils"?

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

(PS: For native Windows builds CMake can generate a Visual Studio
project directly. VS >= 2019 can also open the folder and built it
without any additional effort and without a separate cmake run.
According to Hans the binaries (cross-)compiled with gcc run faster
than those compiled with MSVC, and those compiled with clang (from
Visual Studio) are even slower, but the distinction is not too
important.)