[tlbuild] TeX Live 2022 build report from Utah

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 15 03:38:16 CET 2022

    I sincerely hope that any further source code changes for TeX Live
    2022 will be minimal,

As it happens, I don't know of any further planned developments for
2022, at least as far as the engines go. (If anyone has pending updates,
please let me know.) Maybe we can start the pretest and make the release
earlier than usual this usual.

    represents several long days of intensive parallel activity that I'd
    prefer not to do more than once a year.

Given this statement, however ... Nelson, in general (i.e., next year) I
think you should delay your "intensive parallel activity".  According to
the approximate schedule I always put up at https://tug.org/texlive/, we
usually take the first couple months of the year to integrate updates.
So it's not really viable to expect stable sources in mid-January.
That's exactly the time that they aren't stable.

Of course it is often your builds that turn up problems, so maybe doing
your builds sometime during the pretest would work out best for
everyone. --best, karl.