[tlbuild] TeX Live 2022 build report from Utah

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri Jan 14 00:14:43 CET 2022

This afternoon, I changed a symbolic link so that the site

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah/

now points to my annual build report for 2022.

Major search engines can find that site with the search string
"texlive-utah", so there is no need to remember the URL.

Reports for other years remain accessible via links in that document
to URLs of the form

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah-YYYY

where YYYY = 2016 to 2022.

All of the documented builds are based on a .tar.gz file from a pull
of the source tree on 5 January 2022.

I'm pleased to report that the builds have gone MUCH more smoothly
this year than in past years, and the Utah site now holds bin/*
distributions for 47 systems, covering the major O/S and CPU families.

There are a few other builds in progress at Utah that are not
documented there, and where initial attempts have failed (not
necessarily in TeX Live, but in builds of Clisp and its dependent
libraries).

In every case, the builds are done with --enable-hitex.  That has
caused problems on only a single system so far, OpenIndiana Hipster,
due to the previously reported conflict between HiTeX's label_t type,
and an identical type name in a system header file.  The fix is
documented in the section at

        http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive-utah/#openindiana-i86pc

and is easy:

        % cd /path/to/build/directory/texlive-20220105/source/texk/web2c/hitexdir
        % gsed -i -e s/label_t/hitex_label_t/g hitex.w hiformat.w hiparser.c hiparser.y

I sincerely hope that any further source code changes for TeX Live
2022 will be minimal, and that nothing will change TeX's memory
layout, invalidating existing shared *.fmt files.  The documented work
represents several long days of intensive parallel activity that I'd
prefer not to do more than once a year.