[texworks] Call for Help: Testing

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 10:21:15 CET 2024

Dear Stefan and Philip,

I checked immediately after I first saw your message Philip, and I was able
to get straight onto the web site with  no problems.

I concluded that their may either be a CDN distribution issue, or more
likely something client side as Stefan also suggests.

May be worth exploring a client side issue to start with?

Kindest regards,
Paul

On Thursday 1 February 2024, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear TeXworks users,
>
> a new minor release (0.6.9) is around the corner, which will hopefully
make it into TeXLive 2024. To get ready for that, I ask you to test the
latest version of TeXworks. It is available at the following locations:
https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/main/TeXworks-Windows10
https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/main/TeXworks-macOS11
https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/main/TeXworks-AppImage

https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/main/TeXworks-Windows7
https://nightly.link/TeXworks/texworks/workflows/cd/main/TeXworks-macOS10.13
> (please note that while the legacy packages should include the latest
features of TeXworks, they are generally built using older libraries)

> Since the last stable release, numerous bugs have been found and fixed,
in addition to the ever ongoing internal code refactoring. Apart from that,
the most notable new features are:
> * Added support for "layers" in the PDF previewer
> * Added additional customization options for the "Insert Citations"
dialog (showing/hiding columns, customizing the default citation command) -
see https://github.com/TeXworks/manual/issues/14 and links therein
> * Added support for --insert-text and --insert-cite command line options
to enable interaction with external programs (e.g., bibliography database
programs such as JabRef)

> It would be great if you could give the latest development version a try
and check if all your usual stuff is still working as expected (or even
better ;)).

> Note that the latest version should be quite stable (obviously, since
we're heading towards a release), but of course there are no guarantees
(that's what this testing call is for). So if you are in the middle of a
very important project, it might be advisable to stick to whichever version
has already proven to work for you in the past.

> As a side note, the TeXworks project is always looking for contributors.
This is by no means limited to C++ coders. For example, TeXworks is
translated to a number of languages. However, some translations (notably
Arabic, Czech, Farsi, and Turkish) have not been updated in quite some
time. If you want to help update them (or translate TeXworks to an
additional language), please have a look at
https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/wiki/Translating. Also, please don't
forget to drop a note on the mailing list to avoid having several people
working side-by-side on the same language without knowing of one another.
http://www.tug.org/texworks/#How_can_you_help.