[texworks] Possible bugs in TeXworks previewer

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:29:22 CEST 2022

Hi,

On 24.09.22 09:48, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:

>  1. With a source file that includes \read -1 to \buffer, initiating
>     the compilation via the green triangle in the source window
>     results in focus being transferred to the input panel when this
>     code is elaborated.  If, however, compilation is initiated using
>     the green triangle in the preview window, focus is not transferred
>     and typed input appear to go nowhere.
>
>  2. If the source file associated with the PDF file open in the
>     preview window is open, then clicking on the green triangle in the
>     preview window results in the source file being compiled. If,
>     however, the source file is not open, then clicking on the green
>     triangle in the preview window has no perceivable effect but no
>     diagnostic is issued.

Thanks for reporting. Both issues should be fixed in the latest
development version.
Regarding the second point: for reference, the process of determining
which source file to use/open is currently as follows:
If a suitable source file is already open, use that
If synctex is available, use that to determine a suitable source file
(by simulating a ctrl+click in the top left corner of the first page)
If the previous steps fail, try to find a file with the same name as the
pdf but the extension .tex (I know that this is flakey; people might
prefer .ltx or something else; they might override the \jobname or do
other things that break the underlying assumptions; but for 99% of the
use cases, it should work just fine, I hope)
If all else fails, disable the typeset button (rather than have it
enabled but effectively do nothing)

HTH,