[texworks] Possible bug in file name/extension handling

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:25:47 CET 2022

Dear Phil,

On 01.11.22 16:02, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:
> On 25/10/2022 05:44, Stefan Löffler wrote:
>> It's the last line for which I changed the default in code to get
>> this working. Since you have this custom config (that overrides the
>> default), please change the "All files (*)" to "All files (*.*)"
>> there. Hopefully that should do the trick.
>
> Thank you Stefan, that does indeed allow me to save with abitrary
> extension.  But now I am using TeXworks to typeset the 2nd edition of
> /A Descriptive Catalogue of Greek MSS in the Lambeth Palace Library/,
> and I appear to have lost all "Search in PDF" functionality, even when
> searching for simple strings such as "inc." and "1175".  Version
> information —

That's curious for two reasons: first, I did not change any code
recently that should affect PDF searching, and two, it does seem to work
on my system (admittedly with a very simple PDF and in a virtual machine).

Could you test with, e.g.,
https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/raw/master/testcases/base14-fonts.pdf
(one of the TeXworks test cases for font rendering). I searched for
"brown" and it seemed to work. Admittedly, the bright yellow highlight
does not visually pop much (at least on my screen), but it did show up
(and vanish again after some time, as in the past).

HTH