[texworks] Feature/enhancement request

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:22:22 CEST 2022

On 01/05/2022 12:28 p.m., Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 17:22, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> To make this acceptable to the compiler, the pragmat itself would have
>> to be wrapped in PRAGMAT delimiters, as in :
>>
>>     PRAGMAT % !TeX Program=Algol-68 PRAGMAT
>>
> Oops — I should have tested this before posting.  The compiler
> interprets such pragmats according to its own rules,so in practice the
> delimiters would have to be COMMENT delimiters, as in :
>
>     COMMENT % !TeX Program=Algol-68 COMMENT
>
> As before, is there any possibility to make the syntax of the line-1
> typesetting engine programat more flexible, perhaps defining it in terms
> of a regular expression to allow other compiler syntaces to be supported ?

I'll let Stefan answer your question, but as a workaround, wouldn't it
be possible to configure the Algol-68 typesetting script to strip the
first line before compiling?

Specifically, I'm guessing that you've configured the "Algol-68" tool to
run your compiler with arguments based on the current file.  Instead,
have it run some scripting language that removes the first line, saves
to a temp file, and then passes that to the compiler.

I do similar things with R as the scripting language to process things
using "knitr".  The whole script becomes so invisible that I had a hard
time just now remembering where to find it to remind myself how it works.

Duncan Murdoch