[texworks] Is it possible to use texworks in a portable way?

P.Barbian P.Barbian at asg-dillingen.de
Mon Aug 23 14:22:39 CEST 2021

Is it possible to use texworks in a portable way?

I'm using miktex-portable, primarily locally installed on a hard disk
(see the configuration info below), but I also would like to use a
second installation on a USB-Stick. Unfortunaltely miktex-texworks
stores some information in the windows registry.
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MiKTeX.org\MiKTeX\2.9\TeXworks:
default-Encoding, default-Engine, font, ...)
Using one of the installations distorts the other, even lets the other
hang during program start. After deleting the registry-entries the
program starts again, but of course some preferences are forgotten.

----- configuration info -----
TeXworks version : 0.6.6 (MiKTeX) [r.24442ac0, 11.03.2021 11:03]
MiKTeX version   : MiKTeX 21.8 Portable
Install location :
C:/miktex-portable/texmfs/install/miktex/bin/x64/texworks.exe
Library path     : C:/miktex-portable/texmfs/data/TeXworks/0.6/
pdfTeX location  :
C:/miktex-portable/texmfs/install/miktex/bin/x64/pdftex.exe
Operating system : Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Service Pack 1, build
7601
Qt version       : 5.15.2 (build) / 5.15.2 (runtime)