[texhax] hyperref bookmarks problem

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Wed Nov 4 17:05:51 CET 2009

Quoting Jesús Guillermo Andrade (jgandradev at me.com):
> El 04/11/2009, a las 10:07 a.m., Ulrike Fischer escribió:
> >At first try if the problem goes away if you delete the unicode option
> >of hyperref (don't forget to run xelatex at least twice).
>

> Thanks Ulrike for your kind answer.
>
> Ok. I tried compiling without the unicode option. Here's the result:
> The chinese strange characters have disappeard from the top level
> bookmarks. Now, the second level bookmarks are just garbled without
> any coherence.
> For example, where it says "-bito terrestre/landside" it should say
> "Ámbito terreste/landside".There are other cropped words all around
> the bookmark index.

Well, that is far from completely garbled! To me that looks like it expects
the bookmark to be utf8 encoded, but somehow another encoding crept in.
(Here's what I think happens: The 'Á' uses a character which has the 8th
bit active. In utf8 this means that this and at least the next byte
together encode one character. I guess this character is chosen then, but
-- as your font does not support that particular character -- replaced by
the hyphen in the display.)

So it is still a problem of encoding. Perhaps someone else can help you get
it all right...

Hope that helps,

	Susan