[texhax] easy update of teTeX on Linux?

Roberto Sanchez rcsanchez97 at yahoo.es
Sun Oct 5 22:02:01 CEST 2003

Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
> I probably wasn't clear in my question.  I'm wondering not about getting
> a new complete teTeX installation, but about adding functions that are
> not part of teTeX.  That's what I meant by adding packages.
>
> For example, "prosper" is a package that makes slides for projection. I
> dont' seem to have prosper on my machine currently.  Is it an integral
> part of teTeX that would arrive if I upgraded my current teTeX?  If not
> , is there an easy way to get it and have it installed properly (on
> MikTeX on Windows it is extremely easy.)
>
> As another example, there are a whole host of .sty files out there.  If
> I needed one that is not currently installed, is there a way to locate
> it easily and install it?  Or would I have to download a .tar.gz file,
> unzip/untar it, and then put all the pieces into the proper places
> manually?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Chris

As far as propsper, it is in the official Debian archive:

$ apt-cache search prosper
prosper - LaTeX class for writing transparencies

If you were running Debian, as I pointed out in a previous post, this
would be incredibly easy:

# apt-get install prosper

For RH, and many other distros, you need to locate the appropriate
package and all associated dependencies and then install them manually.

As far as additional components for Tex, a search for tetex yields:

$ apt-cache search tetex
ctie - merge multiple CWEB change files into one file
cttex - Thai word separator for Thai TeTeX/LaTeX and HTML
debiandoc-sgml - DebianDoc SGML DTD and formatting tools
jtex-bin - NTT Japanese TeX binary files
libkpathsea-dev - kpathsea.a and include files for teTeX
libkpathsea3 - shared libkpathsea for teTeX
linuxdoc-tools - SGML converters for the LinuxDoc DTD only.
malaga-bin - A system for automatic language analysis
multex-bin - Multilingual TeX binary files
ptex-buildsupport - Support files for building ASCII pTeX
revtex4 - REVTeX 4 stylefiles (dummy package)
tetex-base - Basic library files of teTeX
tetex-bin - The teTeX binary files
tetex-brev - Norwegian letter style for LaTeX.
tetex-doc - The documentation component of the Debian teTeX packages
tetex-extra - Additional library files of teTeX
tetex-frogg - Little collection of French LaTeX/BiBTeX styles
tetex-frogg-doc - Documentation for tetex-frogg
tetex-src - teTeX texmf source files
thailatex - Thai Latex package
wv - Convert and preview Microsoft Word documents
revtex - LaTeX documentstyle from the American Physical Society (obsolete)
tth - TeX/LaTeX to HTML converter

A search for latex tields about five times as many entries.  All in all,
pretty much everything you could possibly need is probably already there.

If you are interested in getting Debian setup, just email me off-list
and I can get you started in the right direction.  Otherwise, if you
stick with RH, Google is your friend.  Actually, Google is your friend
either way :-)

-Roberto