[texhax] easy update of teTeX on Linux?

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Tue Oct 7 17:35:42 CEST 2003

"CWR" == Christopher W Ryan writes:

 CWR> I probably wasn't clear in my question.  I'm wondering not about
 CWR> getting a new complete teTeX installation, but about adding
 CWR> functions that are not part of teTeX.  That's what I meant by
 CWR> adding packages.

 CWR> For example, "prosper" is a package that makes slides for
 CWR> projection. I dont' seem to have prosper on my machine
 CWR> currently.  Is it an integral part of teTeX that would arrive if
 CWR> I upgraded my current teTeX?  If not , is there an easy way to
 CWR> get it and have it installed properly (on MikTeX on Windows it
 CWR> is extremely easy.)

in case of MikTeX, i think the situation is the same: if some package
is not an integral part of MikTeX distribution, there is no "extremely
easy" way to install it.

I.e., if there is already a pre-built ready-to-install MikTeX package
(e.g. prosper.cab) in CTAN:systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages, then you
can install it by clicking your mouse; otherwise you cannot: in this
case you have to download and install it manually.

so, the "extremely easy" package installation (for some packages) is
possible in MikTeX only because they are packaged for MikTeX in
ready-to-install way - it cannot automate this process otherwise.

Best,
v.