[texhax] EPS with graphicx and PDF output

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Wed Jun 11 14:41:49 CEST 2003

"z" == zsdc  writes:

 z> I have a somehow related question. I used things like this in
 z> LaTeX:

 z> \usepackage{graphicx} % (...)
 z> \includegraphics[angle=15]{logo.eps}

 z> to include PostScript graphics in PostScript output of dvips with
 z> success and great results, but it doesn't work with pdflatex, and
 z> I was wondering how I could make a LaTeX file, which would work
 z> for PostScript as well as for PDF output. Do I have to convert EPS
 z> file to some other format to use it in PDF files?

yes. convert the EPS files to PDF (e.g. using epstopdf) and put them
in the same directory as the EPS files.

 z> Do I then have to use different source code for my documents which
 z> are going to be processed by pdflatex, than for those which are to
 z> be processed by latex and dvips?

no - you can make your source file usable for both latex+dvips and
pdflatex. just omit the file extensions, e.g. use
\includegraphics[angle=15]{logo}
instead of \includegraphics[angle=15]{logo.eps} or
\includegraphics[angle=15]{logo.pdf}

 z> And by the way, is it possible to use graphicx in plain TeX,
 z> instead of LaTeX?

have a look at CTAN:macros/plain/graphics/

Best,
v.