[texdvd] texdvd Digest, Vol 4, Issue 1

terry.s at Safe-mail.net terry.s at Safe-mail.net
Mon Mar 25 00:52:09 CET 2024

Hello,

I checked by DVD drive with *AnyBurn* and it appears the drive supports BOTH read + write for DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL.

My issue in the past must have been with "DoubleLayer", apparently a different standard which perhaps has fallen by the wayside. (I know TeX is NOT this, but I may have assumed so in comments last year, due to issues trying to back up software onto some "DoubleLayer" DVDs I had ... just a CLARIFICATION if anyone remembers my comments last year at the start of all this. ;-D It's also possibly true on my other laptop, but now I have this one back.)

FWIW, I can download an ISO over the Internet (and Windows 8.1+ supports mounting ISOs a-la Linux, depending on build/updates). My issue was always with installing ... the very first time I wanted to try TeX, it would take 13-21 hours on public WiFi, an impossible time requirement. Then with COVID closures, I had NO source of Internet. There is always the danger our government could do that again. I couldn't install TeX untl much later, after I (finally) got a DVD in the mail.

All this is to say, people hopefully can do one or the other (download an ISO and mount it or read a DL DVD), if not both. It seems splitting to 2 discs isn't going to be feasible, nor maintainble. Thank you for trying!

In any case, it would be nice if people had both options ... ISO and/or DVD.
Again, I am still willing to burn and mail DVDs if there is a small fee to cover things ... I don't have the old email around but I think I figured $2-3 USD?

Have a wonderful day!

----- RE: DVD formats -----