Accessibility and ease of use

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:47:08 CET 2022

čt 17. 3. 2022 v 21:33 odesílatel Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> napsal:

> Hi
>
> Jonathan Godfrey on the BlindMath list wrote: "My request to anyone developing LaTeX to HTML solutions is to make it easy for all authors to use their tools. Offer the authors the chance to make HTML and maybe they'll choose to make HTML."
>
> Jonathan is a domain expert. He's a blind senior lecturer in statistics. He made this statement in response to a message from Brian Dunn, regarding the various LaTeX to HTML tools available (including his own lwarp package).
>
> On the tex-live list, Brian noted that a vanilla install followed by an install of tex-live results in a missing Perl module error.
>
> Again on the tex-live list Norbert Preining replied that on Unix "It is the user's responsibility to provide a working perl, and necessary modules for the programs one uses."
>
> Requiring the manual installation of a Perl module is an obstruction to the easy use of the LaTeX to HTML tools provided by Brian and others. The domain expert Jonathan Godfrey recommends that we remove such obstructions.

It is not easy to install a perl module just anywhere. The perl module
is a part of a distro package and although the name of the module is
the same, the name of the package in Fedora differs from the name of
the package in Debian etc. In addition, TeX Live is assumed to be
installed as a normal (non-root) user but Linux distro packages
(including those with perl modules) must be done by root. Of course,
the modules can be installed in non-system directories but than they
will have to be copied manually (not as packages) and the user must
know how to set the PERL5INC environment variable. CPAN installation
works for simple modules but complex modules as PerlTk installed from
CPAN often do not work. The problem is that CPAN installs the latest
version but the user might have an older Linux distro with older perl
which is not compatible with the latest module on CPAN. Thus
installation of perl modules from Linux distro packages is often a
better idea.

> I think discussion of this question is best held on the tex-live list.
>
> with kind regards
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Godfrey: http://nfbnet.org/pipermail/blindmath_nfbnet.org/2022-March/010273.html
> Norbert Preining: https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2022-March/047897.html