[tex-k] [WEB] Integrated webmac.tex for plain TeX, pdfTeX, and XeTeX

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Tue May 12 16:37:41 CEST 2020

Dear WEB hackers,

Following recent discussions on this list (and on texhax), I came up
with the idea to update Don Knuth's 'webmac.tex' (Version 4.1) for use
with the following variants of TeX:

(a) plain TeX with/out "\let\pdf+" and a decent variant of 'dvipdf'
(most likely 'xdvipdfmx')

(b) pdfTeX, _without_ the need for a special 'pdfwebmac.tex' (which
seems to have landed in package 'cweb-old' for whatever reasons)

(c) XeTeX (which uses 'xdvipdfmx' in the background), _without_ the need
for a special 'xewebmac.tex' (which currently seems to be available only
through the XeTeX sources, but not via a package in TeX Live)

For this purpose I set up the project https://github.com/ascherer/web
and integrated ideas and code from 'pdfwebmac.tex', 'xewebmac.tex', and
most of all Don's 'cwebmac.tex' into the new 'webmac.tex' (Version 4.5).
 I tested these macros with 'weave weave' as input with great success.

Please take a look at this upgraded 'webmac.tex' and test it with your
own (or other) WEB codes, so that I can fix problems in due course.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas