[tex-k] makeindex is processing the .tex file rather than the .idx file

Jont Allen jont1 at mimosaacoustics.com
Fri May 8 20:22:31 CEST 2020

ubuntu 20.04
pdflatex
along with the following alias in .basnrc file (just in case I screwed
up here:)
alias pdflatexmk='latexmk -pdf -ps- -pvc'                 #pdflatex and view
Latexmk, John Collins, 26 Dec. 2019. Version 4.67

Background:
standard ubuntu setup, that has been working until I installed 20.04

Statement of the problem:

If I manually type
makeindex rootfilename
it processes rootfilename.tex rather than rootfilename.idx
empty root.ind

If I manually type
makeindex rootfilename.idx
it works fine and creates the rootname.ind output

My contact info:
Jont Allen
jontallen at ieee.org
Fri May 8, 2020
The makeindex man page is dated Nov 12, 2014

  makeindex  is  currently  maintained  as  part  of  the  TeX Live
distribution
        (http://tug.org/texlive); please send bug reports to tex-k at tug.org.