[tex-k] [WEB] Integrated webmac.tex for plain TeX, pdfTeX, and XeTeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 13 23:03:34 CEST 2020

    (a) plain TeX with/out "\let\pdf+" and a decent variant of 'dvipdf'
    (most likely 'xdvipdfmx')

The normal thing for scripts etc. is to run dvipdfmx; xdvipdfmx only
exists to be the backend for xetex. I don't think there's any need to
use it in any other context. I guess I'm not totally sure.

    (b) pdfTeX, _without_ the need for a special 'pdfwebmac.tex'
    (which seems to have landed in package 'cweb-old' for whatever reasons)

The reason is that I made up cweb-old because I had to put those old
pdf*webmac.tex files (after you pointed out their existence) somewhere,
since they are not maintained anywhere and do not exist on CTAN. See the
README I put into that directory.

    for a special 'xewebmac.tex' (which currently seems to be available only
    through the XeTeX sources, but not via a package in TeX Live)

Indeed, I never installed xewebmac.tex anywhere because no one ever
asked for it. Sounds like there won't be a reason to. Good :).

    % Uncomment the following line if you want PDF goodies to be the default
    \ifx\pdf-\else\pdftrue\fi

How about making this the default if PDF output is being generated in
the first place? iftex.sty (readable in plain) provides an \ifpdf
conditional for this.

Anyway, all sounds good to me. --thanks, karl.